Monday, November 10, 2008

Sewers DIY

In an earlier post, I talked about hydro-jet service from Adee Plumbing. These days, money is really tight and I've decided to tackle the sewer line myself. It's been 4 months since Adee ripped me off Those bastards!... The first bath started to clog again. So I started trolling the web for a jetter. After spending a few hours, I soon realized that jetters are not cheap. A typical medium-duty jetter will run you about $2,000! Ouch!...


But there are other options... such as converting a reasonably priced pressure washer into a jetter. But I was skeptical about my abilities to safely operate machinery that jets water at 3,500 PSI.

Then I came across a site for Gorlitz, a maker of pressure washers, and they were located in Santa Fe Springs, CA. I was ready to make a purchase but I still needed training on usage. I called them and asked about their products. Their jetters should do the job, but the salesman said there would be no training. I told him I was determined to get a jetter to cut roots in the sewer line. But he advised me that their jetters cannot cut roots. It's not the jetter but the nozzle that cuts roots. He told me to search for Warthog nozzles...


Stoneage Inc, the makers of Warthog nozzles, specializes in all types of hydro-jet applications. I contacted one of their resellers, Plumbers Depot in Gardena, CA and spoke to a gentleman who was very knowledgeable. He said that Warthogs can cut roots, but the jetter needs to be capable of generating at least 3,500 PSI @ 4 GPM. He said that instead of buying an expensive jetter, I'm better off getting an industrial grade sewer snake with the proper cutter.

After reconsideration, I went to a Home Depot and rented a 75' long 5/8" diameter sewer snake for $75/day. This is the industrial grade sewer snake. It's heavy. It has wheels. It feels manly!...


When I returned home, I started to work on the main line immediately. I put on my gloves: one disposable latex pair for waterproof protection on the inside, and a second disposable suede pair on the outside. I proceeded to clean the first bath's main line. There was hardly any blockage. Then I proceeded to the second bath's main line. At first, I thought I wasn't going to find anything, but to my surprise and disgust, I found a nest of roots! It took 2 hours of inserting the snake, catching roots, pulling the snake, and removing the roots. This was back breaking work and it stinks!! Eventually, all the roots were removed. I hope...



I was totally pleased with my work. When I think back to a few months about Adee, I feel like a fool. Now, I know better. Here are some key points:
  • Adee will try to scare you into paying for a $12,000 liner project. Say NO!
  • Adee will tell you that a jetter is needed and it only costs $1,500. Say NO!
  • When removing roots, go slow. If the snake catches too many roots, it may be impossible to pull it out.
  • Patience is a virtue. Even if you're working on the sewer...

No comments: